MIRA FEBRUARY monthly meeting Feature Event – Saturday, 25 February 2017
The regular MIRA club meeting for February 2017 has been re-scheduled to Saturday, February 25th, starting at 10:00, at the Qualicum Beach Fire Hall.
The theme for February’s monthly meeting will be a visit from the Cowichan Valley Amateur Radio Club (CVARS). Steve Bradshaw (the CVARS club president), together with a small cadre of his team will brief us regarding the following aspects of their club’s interests and activities, namely:
- a brief history of the Cowichan Valley Amateur Radio Society (CVARS);
- an overview of the club’s skill-sets and equipment holdings, both of which are diverse and significant;
- an overview of CVARS’ operational mandate and its organizational structure (both of which are quite different from those of MIRA’s);
- an appreciation of the various agencies CVARS serves and how those agencies provide additional funding in support of CVARS activities;
- a summary of CVARS activities over the past year, and;
- an appreciation of the preparations CVARS is making in anticipation of Exercise Sweeper 2017, scheduled to activate on Wednesday May 3rd, 2017, on the Parksville Beach waterfront. Steve will also provide a short briefing on the features & capabilities of the Hytera radio unit the Province intends to purchase for selected clubs committed to supporting Emergency Communications needs.
After our traditional mid-meeting, 20-minute coffee break, the above-noted presentation will be followed by a Question & Answer period which we will then follow with a tour of the CVARS mobile communications trailer and its associated systems and antenna mountings.
Dave Ireland (VA7QED), President
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink